Slovenia has been hit with the second wave of Coronavirus just as it was predicted. Slovenia has tested over 100,000 people in the last few months since the epidemic with Coronavirus has started in Slovenia. There have been 111 deaths recorded due to Coronavirus in Slovenia, while over 1716 people have been infected with Coronavirus in Slovenia.
Slovenia recorded 16 new coronavirus cases after 530 tests on Sunday, including seven in an outbreak at the Vipava care home where nine elderly residents and seven staff are now infected, the latest data from the government and the care home show. The number of patients hospitalised with Covid-19 has increased to 11 after four residents from the Vipava facility were hospitalised. Slovenia now has 195 active cases, out of a total of 1,716. More testing will be conducted at the Vipava care home, which plans to test all 108 residents and 45 staff. Slovenia’s Ljiljana Kozlovič took part in a virtual session of the EU justice ministers on Monday discussing the impact of measures to fight Covid-19 on democracy in Europe, stressing that measures to fight the new coronavirus need to be proportionate.
There were also no new deaths, which leaves the national coronavirus death toll at 111. Yesterday’s rise in the new case prompted PM Janez Janša to take to Twitter saying “the virus is spreading from within”, apparently in reference to non-imported cases. He also indicated that there are many violations of the law on infectious diseases and of coronavirus restrictions, especially in hospitality and public assembly, which is capped at 50 persons.
France and almost entire Czechia reinstated to green list
The government has re-instated France and the Czech Republic, with the exception of the Moravian-Silesian Region, to the green list of the epidemiologically safe countries, with the decision effective as of Tuesday. Announcing the news, the Government Communication Office said that the decision had been made following a briefing on the Covid-19 situation in the two countries by the National Public Health Institute.
Couple face sanctions for breaching quarantine rules
Government spokesman Jelko Kacin revealed that a couple had breached quarantine rules and now face a fine or even prison on suspicion they spread coronavirus out of negligence. A 37-year-old woman was notified her husband had Covid-19, but failed to inform healthcare staff about the infection right away, whereby she jeopardised other people’s health. Her husband kept going to work despite being ordered to self-isolate. The government might discuss sanctions for breach of quarantine rules later today. Kacin said 1,213 quarantine orders were issued to arrivals at the border.
300 quarantine orders served at the border
Slovenian health authorities issued and served 290 quarantine orders on the border with Croatia and Hungary on Saturday, the first day of tighter restrictions for arrivals in Slovenia. More than half were issued to Slovenian residents who were returning from Bosnia-Herzegovina, the Health Ministry told the STA. The majority of orders for quarantine were served on the border crossing Obrežje with Croatia (130), while only five were handed out at Pince on the border with Hungary. Quarantine orders are served on the border as of 4 July, a day after the government changed a relevant decree to speed up quarantine order serving and moved Croatia, France and the Czech Republic from the green list of safe Covid-19 countries to the yellow one.
21 new infections as a concern raised about second wave of Coronavirus
Out of 1,198 coronavirus tests conducted on Wednesday, 21 came back positive, the highest daily figure since 16 April when Slovenia recorded 36 new cases. Nine persons were in hospital, one more than the day before. None required intensive care, show latest government data.
Slovenia puts Croatia, France and Chech Republic on the “yellow list”
Being put on the yellow list means that most foreign citizens arriving in Slovenia from these countries need to subject themselves to a two-week quarantine, while this does not apply to Slovenians [ed. or those with a residence card] returning from yellow-listed countries.
Croatia, France and Czechia will be removed on Saturday from the green list of countries considered epidemiologically safe by Slovenia, government coronavirus spokesperson Jelko Kacin said on Thursday. Belgium and the Netherlands will on the other hand be green-listed. Kacin also announced efforts to serve quarantine orders already on the border. Kacin said that Slovenians returning from Croatia will not have to go into isolation, but he stressed they would be asked at the border if they are really returning from Croatia and not from other Western Balkan countries that are on the red list and entail quarantine in Slovenia also for Slovenian citizens.
Kacin said that the Coronavirus situation was improving in some countries, in particular in western Europe, with the number of infected persons falling below 10 per 100,000 inhabitants. This is why Belgium and the Netherlands will be put on the green list. He again urged against travel to Serbia, North Macedonia, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina or Kosovo, where the virus is spreading fast. “Everywhere where they had elections and election rallies, the number of infected persons is rising,” he added.
Referring to administrative rules that have been preventing an effective serving of quarantine orders and thereby enforcement, he said “it will no longer be the case that the quarantine passes before people even receive the order”. He added the relevant ministries and other institutions have until Saturday to organise and adapt.
Kacin said more oversight will also be necessary at health institutions and nursing homes and that instructions will be sent out on Friday on how to avoid infections there.
Janez Janša attacks prosecution in the face of anti-govt protests, faces criticism
PM Janez Janša has sent a letter to State Prosecutor General Drago Šketa, saying the prosecution is neglecting its role in relation to the anti-government protests by failing to respond to inciting to violence. Janša published the letter dated 19 June in full today after the newspaper Dnevnik ran an article about it. The letter, in which he also says Šketa will be responsible if the violence escalates, has been met with strong criticism. Šketa responded by asserting that the prosecution was efficient and acting in line with the law, and the head of the opposition SocDems, Tanja Fajon, said the party would initiate an impeachment motion against Janša. Another two opposition parties, the Left and the Alenka Bratušek Party (SAB), are willing to discuss the SD proposal. Former State Prosecutor General Zvonko Fišer meanwhile said he had not witnessed such an inadmissible move in his entire career as prosecutor, not even in Yugoslavia.