The Slovenia Restaurant Awards 2019 – About


The Slovenia Restaurant Awards (TSRA) is a national selection of best Slovenian restaurants. The increasing demand from tourists for reviews of Slovenian restaurants in foreign languages, and the fact that these reviews are a rarity even in Slovene, made us realise that the process of reviewing Slovene restaurants must begin as soon as possible. 

Thus, in early autumn 2016 we started the project with the help from some Slovenian enogastronomy, folklore and tourism experts. A collection of the best restaurants in Slovenia can help tourists decide where to go when seeking new culinary horizons. The selection of the best Slovenian restaurants is also meant for the general Slovenian public – how many times do you think about going out for a nice family lunch on Sunday, but have no idea where to go?

Each year TSRA undertakes comprehensive 3-tiered process in order to determine the very best restaurants in each of the country’s four constituent regions. First the Expert Committee regularly meets throughout the year in order to conclusively determine participating restaurants for the following year which range from 40-60 for each region and 201 in total.  Next the full lists are voted on by selected members of the Gastronomic Academy who select up to 10 restaurants from their home region and up to 10 restaurants total from other three regions combined. And finally the voting is opened to the general public who select from a short-lists of 101 finalists.  

RegionsAlpine SloveniaMediterranean & Karst SloveniaTremal Pannonian SloveniaLjublajana & Central Slovenia

Voting is calculated on a weighted basis meaning the votes from Gastronomic Academy count for 75% of final results while the general public accounts for the remaining 25%. Professional services consultancy Deloitte is the independent adjudicator of The Awards and is granted full access to the voting process and data to confirm the integrity and authenticity of the results. Together let’s put Slovenia on the world culinary map!

STRA 2019 Logo

The 2019 Awards

  • National top 3
  • 4 regional winners
  • Vox populi award
  • Best Gostilna
  • Best Hotel restaurant
  • Best Newcomer

Expert Committee

Prof. Janez Bogataj PhDHe is the co-author of the Strategy of Gastronomy of Slovenia, and author of culinary pyramids for Slovenia and individual regions. He received domestic and foreign professional and social awards. Five of his books received the prestigious international Gourmand World Cookbook Award. He is a member ofthe IGCAT Institute, the Ambassador of the Republic of Slovenia to the EU project EDEN, etc

Helena Cvikl MSc 
In addition to the successful education of top-level professionals in the field of tourism and catering and taking care of the international activities of the school she is active in many international associations that link education institutions in the field of tourism and hotel industry. In 2002 she became SecretaryGeneral of EURHODIP, and since 2011 she is the vice-president of the association. In 2003 she was awarded the title Central and Eastern European Ambassador. Aleš Gačnik PhDAs an ethnologist and sociologist of culture, he is the Deputy Head of the Department of Cultural Tourism at the Faculty of Tourism Studies Turistica and the head of the Center for Gastronomy and Culture of Wine of the University of Primorska. He is an expert member of IGCAT Institute and one of the main protagonists in the nomination of Slovenia as a European gastronomic region. He is the winner of several national and international awards.

Yuri BarronOriginally from Seattle, Yuri’s lived abroad for more than 18 years, including stops in the UK, South Africa, Cyprus, Lebanon, Syria, the Czech Republic and Slovenia. He travels as often as possible, visiting some 95 countries thus far, and since 2009 he’s been the managing editor of Slovenia’s In Your Pocket guides as well as an editor and writer for various THE Slovenia projects, giving him the opportunity to visit virtually every village, valley and vineyard on the sunny side of the

Gastronomic Academy

More info about Expert committee …

The Program


To find out other unique places in Slovenia and features the very best in Slovenian dining, chefs and restaurants all over Slovenia, check out our THE SLOVENIA RESTAURANTS BOOK